Published on October 31, 2018

Blaise McCann (2009) returned to HVGS as guest speaker at the 2018 Business Industry Dinner and gave her account of her unconventional road to success. 

After leaving HVGS, Blaise studied Communications at UTS (majoring in Social Inquiry and Gender, Culture, Power). In late 2017, she launched her own company, Hear Us Roar, an online marketplace for curvy fashion which seeks to empower women to feel good about what they look like. Working mostly with Australian brands, the business drop-ships fashion from around the country to its customers without ever owning or touching the stock.

“If you had told me in high school ‘Blaise, you will own your own company at 25’ I would have laughed out loud.”

Blaise McCann

With ideas of being a journalist, or writing for a magazine, little did Blaise ever think she’d be the subject of the magazine. “I had no idea what life had in store for me when I left HVGS. I did a very broad degree that led me down many different paths.”

Blaise has been featured on Sunrise, Mamamia, ABC Breakfast and as a guest speaker at a Marie Claire event.  Her advice to Year 12 was to live outside your comfort zone and remember that there is no set way to do things, and no timeline that you must adhere to. Don’t put pressure on yourself to have all the answers and always be open to exploring new ideas. She also believes that if you want to be successful in this world, follow your passion, not a pay cheque. If you love what you do, the money will follow.

Tags: