Talented students are invited to apply to audition for a HVGS Music Scholarship. Scholarships are available in either vocal or instrumental for entry into Years 7 – 11 in 2021.
Applying for a music scholarship
- Check the eligibility requirements detailed below.
- Complete the online registration form below.
- Make payment of the $120 non-refundable Scholarship Application Fee.
Note: Students will be required to complete parts of the application and provide a written supporting document.
Applications close 1 May 2020
- Applicants will be required to perform two (2) contrasting works at an audition. If they audition on two instruments, one work on each instrument is required. Applicants must supply their own accompanist.
- The Audition will be held on 29 May 2020.
- A basic sight reading and aural test within the ability of range of the applicant may be given.
- Successful applicants will be invited to audition on a date to be confirmed. If you are unable to make the audition date, you must show extenuating circumstances for the audition to be rescheduled.
- Scholarship students will also be expected to perform at least once each term at assembly and at School functions as a part of the School’s performance program.
- Music scholarship recipients are required to study Music as an elective in Years 9, 10, 11 and 12.
- Withdrawal from elective Music will result in the forfeit of the Music scholarship.
- Scholarships are open to external students (not enrolled at HVGS) entering Years 7 – 11 in 2021.
- Available to Australian citizens and permanent residents.
- Candidates applying for Years 7 – 10 must have completed a minimum AMEB / Trinity equivalent of Grade 4+ (instrument or voice) or be able to supply a supporting letter from your current Instrumental Music Teacher with estimated grading equivalent to AMEB /Trinity grading.
- Candidates applying for Years 11 must have completed a minimum AMEB / Trinity equivalent of Grade 5+ (instrument or voice) or be able to supply a supporting letter from your current Instrumental Music Teacher with estimated grading equivalent to AMEB /Trinity grading.
While some students may have high musical potential based on their performance in the past, it does not mean that they will perform to that level at the audition. The Music Scholarship audition is designed to test the performance of students. The School will use the performance at audition as its main criteria for selection of students..
Value of scholarships
- Scholarships take the form of a remission in fees, at the discretion of the Principal.
- Scholarships are not automatically awarded to other siblings of the same family; each student is considered on his/her own merits.
- The School reserves the right to withhold a Scholarship if there are no students of sufficient merit. The School’s decision on these matters is final.
Length of scholarship
Music Scholarships are subject to annual review by the School. Each student’s progress, performance and commitment throughout the year will be reviewed at the end of each year. Scholarship students are expected to be fully involved in the life of the School.
Students must have involvement in at least two HVGS extra-curricular performance groups e.g. Orchestra, choir or ensemble work to maintain their scholarship.
Should a student’s performance or commitment fall below reasonable expectations, the Scholarship may be either reduced or withdrawn at the discretion of the School. However, it is expected that a student’s Scholarship will continue to the end of Year 12.
- Students must apply to audition (via the online form below).
- Applicants who are successful in gaining an audition will be contacted by the Director of Enrolments and invited to audition on a date to be confirmed. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified by mail.
- Successful and unsuccessful applicants who audition will be notified in writing within 4 weeks of an outcome.
- Successful students will attend an interview with the Principal and discuss the scholarship details.
Please contact our Director of Enrolments for assistance completing this Application Form