Everyday students from all over the Hunter Valley, Newcastle and beyond travel to school at HVGS.
We are in Ashtonfield (East Maitland), two hours north of Sydney, thirty minute drive from Newcastle, forty-five minute drive from Port Stephens, 1km from Green Hills Shopping Centre and 3km from Victoria Street train station in East Maitland.
Public School Bus Services
The School Opal Card gives eligible school students free or subsidised travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses, ferries and light rail in the Opal network. Click here to apply for an Opal Card.
There are four public bus operators that provide services to HVGS school students:
- Hunter Valley Buses (Maitland, Singleton, Morisset, Lake Macquarie and Western Newcastle areas)
P: 4935 7200
- Port Stephens Coaches (Port Stephens area)
P: 4982 2940
- Rover Coaches (Cessnock, the Vineyards and surrounds)
P: 4990 1699
- Busways (Karuah and Hawks Nest)
P: 4983 1560
Travelling from Newcastle
HVGS operates a free express bus service for students travelling from Newcastle to HVGS during term time. To access this service students must reside in Newcastle, attend HVGS and have obtained a HVGS bus pass from the School. Casual use of the service is not available at this time.
Coming to HVGS:
- Depart Newcastle: 7.45am, Union Street bus stop
- Arrive: 8.25am
Going from HVGS to home:
- Depart: 3.15pm
- Arrive Newcastle: 4:00pm, Union Street bus stop
HVGS after-school Victoria Street station bus
Our cocurricular program is a defining quality of a HVGS education.
To help students to take full advantage of after-school activities, we offer a dedicated bus service to Victoria Street station so students can access the rail network.
- The service runs on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons during term time.
- The bus departs the School at 4:30pm sharp.
Check train timetables for rail links.