Scientifically minded students are invited to apply for the Gwen and John O’Brien Family Science Scholarship for entry into Year 11 in 2021.
The scholarship is awarded to one student who demonstrates an exceptional aptitude towards the sciences – especially chemistry.
This scholarship covers 100% of the student’s tuition fees.
Applying for the Gwen and John O’Brien Family Science Scholarship
- Check the eligibility requirements detailed below.
- Complete the online Scholarship Application Form below.
- Make payment of the $120 non-refundable Scholarship Application Fee.
Applications close 27 September 2020.
- The Gwen and John O’Brien Family Science Scholarship offers 100% remission on tuition fees. Parents of scholarship holders are required to cover costs for textbooks, non-compulsory camps, tours and uniforms.
- Payment of a non-refundable Application Fee of $120 applies for this Scholarship.
- One scholarship is awarded each year at the absolute discretion of the Principal.
- Recipients are required to spend two weeks each year on work placement at the business of Jurox, based at Rutherford in the Hunter Valley; a family owned veterinary pharmaceutical company that markets in excess of 120 proprietary animal health products and employs over 100 staff in Australia and New Zealand.
- Scholarships are not automatically awarded to other siblings of the same family. Each student is considered on his/her own merits.
- The School reserves the right to withhold a Scholarship if there are no students of sufficient merit. The School’s decision on these matters is final.
- Scholarships are available to external students (not attending HVGS) entering Year 11 in 2021.
- The online application form must be completed in full, and payment of the $120 Application Fee received at the point of application.
Selection of Scholarship candidates will be based on the assessment of the following criteria:
- ability to demonstrate a genuine interest and commitment to studying Science or a related degree at University;
- ability to demonstrate oustanding achievement in Stage 5 science and commitment to science cocurricular activities;
- ability to demonstrate a financial need, in that without this Scholarship they would be unable to attend HVGS; and
- not be a current student of HVGS.
- All applicants will receive a letter from the Principal advising the outcome of the application and next steps, if appropriate.
Please contact our Director of Enrolments if you require assistance completing the Application Form.