Published on July 8, 2022
Starting kindergarten can be a nerve-wracking experience for some children. For parents, it can be difficult to know how to support them and help them through this transition. Here are our top tips that may help!
- Encourage your child to talk about their feelings and worries. This will help them to feel heard and understood, and may also help you to understand what is causing their anxiety.
- Reassure them that it is normal to feel some nerves about starting kindergarten. Everyone feels this way at some point!
- Talk about all the exciting things they will get to do and learn in kindergarten.
- Help them to prepare for kindergarten by doing some fun activities like reading kindergarten books together, practicing counting and writing their name.
- HVGS runs kindergarten orientation and transition programs and we recommend that parents try to attend these sessions as they are often very good at facilitating a ‘soft start’ to kindy. If your child is worried about these sessions, reach out to the School for help.
- If your child still hasn’t settled into Kindergarten, be sure to talk to their teacher so that you can work together to support your child.
Following these tips should help your child feel more prepared and excited for kindergarten! If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re always here to help!