There is no doubt that the pursuit of outstanding academic achievement is of utmost importance, yet equally so is a balanced education that realises every student’s potential; built upon our core values that develop young people of substance.
Whilst we are not an academic selective school, HVGS students consistently achieve strong results and academic attainment reflective of growth. This is because we provide the optimal learning environment for our students to flourish, develop positive attitudes about learning, and take risks in the classroom and beyond.
HSC highlights for the class of 2022:
- The Class of 2022 achieved 91% of all HSC results at Band 4, 5 or 6 – our best collective result against this measure in recent years.
- 15% of all results were at the highest level Band 6/E4 and 57% of results at Band 5/6.
- Over a third of HVGS students made the Distinguished Achievers’ List with 34 students sharing in 73 Band 6 results across all HSC courses examined (a significant increase on 2021)
- The School ranked 103 in the State on % of Band 6 results attained, a pleasing improvement on 2021
- Emily Fortunaso-Klocker has achieved the School’s highest ATAR of 98.20
- The School recorded three students recognised by NESA as Top Performers in an HSC Course:
- Emily Miles ranked 3rd in the State in Design and Technology
- Gabriella Coren ranked 10th in the State in Agriculture
- Ronan Green ranked 9th in the State in Information Processes and Technology – Ronan completed this HSC course as a Year 11 student in a targeted acceleration via Distance Education – a remarkable achievement.
- Six students received an ATAR above 95, 16 students above 90, and 39 students received an ATAR above 80.
- The average ATAR achieved for the 2022 HSC cohort was 78; the highest average ATAR at HVGS for 5 years.
- Several students attained top band results across 8+ units, with five graduates coming to within a single mark of being awarded NSW All Rounder honours (10+ units at the top level).
- A wide variety of HSC courses across different HVGS faculty areas achieved significant results, especially compared with relative State attainment at Band 6, and Band 5/6 level.
- Of particular note were the outstanding results achieved in:
- Agriculture (77% Band 5/6 attainment compared with 25% of State)
- English Extension 2 (100% top Band (E4) attainment compared with 29% of State)
- Legal Studies (Seven Band 6 results and 72% Band 5/6 attainment compared with 40% of State)
- Music 1 (Four Band 6 results and 100% Band 5/6 attainment compared with 69% of State)
- Visual Arts (Five Band 6 results and 100% Band 5/6 attainment compared with 65% of State)
- Design & Technology (Four Band 6 results and 100% Band 5/6 attainment compared with 47% of State)
Read more in our digital magazine, Celebrate