Published on December 18, 2020
The title of our HSC publication has, for a few years now, been aptly named Celebrate, and perhaps there hasn’t been a year in recent memory that deserves such recognition of achievements, acknowledgement of resilience, an appreciation for the small things, and our collective capacity to overcome adversity. Indeed, to celebrate.
Dean of Curriculum Mr Nick Jolliffe said, “As the year draws to a close, we celebrate the various exceptional achievements of students, including Alexandra Gibb who achieved 1st in the state for HSC English Advanced, along with those who attained personal best results, or tackled the HSC with courage and commitment, and did themselves, their families and the School proud.
“The class of 2020 have emerged from the challenges this year has thrown at them with a greater sense of self and awareness of the world around them, with aspirations, confidence, and with every reason to celebrate.”
- Alexandra Gibb has achieved outstanding results in the English Advanced course, finishing first in the course and first in New South Wales.
- Alexandra Gibb was also honoured on the All Rounders List for attaining a result in the highest band possible (Band 6 or E4) in ten or more units of study, and the Top Achievers List for placing in the top of the English Advanced course.
- Hunter Valley Grammar School was ranked 98th in the Top 150 Schools across NSW (Sydney Morning Herald).
- 42 students from the Class of 2020 achieved 90 band 6 results.
- 42 students were on the Distinguished Achievers List for achieving a result in the highest band (Band 6/E4, equivalent to 90%) in one or more of their subjects.
- 11 HVGS students received an ATAR above 95, 20 students above 90 and 41 students received an ATAR above 80.
- Over 50 students have received early entry university offers – our highest number of students ever.
Congratulations to Alexandra Gibb who received an ATAR of 99.85 – equal highest result in the region.
HSC Major Works and Performance Nominations
- 11 nominations were received for HSC Major Works and Performances:
- Congratulations Tynan Fuller, Jacqueline Eicher, James Patton and Connor Edwards who each received OnSTAGE nominations for their 2020 Individual Performances in HSC Drama.
- Samuel Moore (Tuba and Composition), Tynan Fuller (Vocal), Adam Walters (Piano), Alexandra Boyling (Cello) and Jayden Mackenzie (Saxophone) each received ENCORE nominations for their HSC Music performances.
- Alexandra Gibb was nominated and selected in ARTEXPRESS for her artwork titled Strings Attached.
- Alannah Galloway was nominated for SHAPE 2020 for her major work, “Enlighten”, a portable emergency education kit for children who find themselves displaced due to social change or emergency.
Read Celebrate Magazine