Published on November 9, 2018

New School Captains Arthur Bowman and Jemma Kerr will play an important role in providing support and leadership to our school community in 2019.

Arthur and Jemma shared their thoughts on leadership and how they intend to grow as leaders.

Athur and Jemma smiling

What qualities do you think define a good leader?

Arthur: I think leaders should be an example for others to follow, who lead by their actions and not just their words. They should display a high level of integrity and a quiet tenacity through supporting and encouraging others to reach their potential. A leader needs to acknowledge the opportunities given to them by not being afraid to express gratitude.

Jemma: A leader has a vision – they know where they are, where they want to be, and how they plan on getting there. They have a plan to move forward and encourage others to work hard to reach their own goals. Leaders have courage – there is strength in their words and actions, they do what they believe is right despite the opinions of others. Leaders hold themselves accountable and responsible for their own actions. A leader is passionate – a drive to lead and serve others comes from their passion and commitment to the work that they do. Leaders show respect – they are openminded and accepting of all people, about opportunities, innovative ideas, and ways to improve themselves and those around them.

What does leadership mean in a School like ours?

Arthur:  Leadership in our School means setting an example and giving a nudge in the right direction; encouragement and support toward all students. This doesn’t just apply to people with appointed leadership positions, everyone has a role in leadership at HVGS.

Jemma: In a School that is so driven by serving the community, it is essential that these ideals are implemented in the way we lead. Service-based leadership means that a leader learns and grows by serving others. Decisions are made to benefit or positively affect as many people as possible. This philosophy is known as utilitarianism, and it has immensely impacted the way that I lead both within my role as a leader and outside of it. At HVGS, we all have a role in leading our peers and our School. Not every leader wears a badge. It is important to recognise that the actions we make will influence the choices of others, and so we should do our best to lead from wherever we stand.

Not every leader wears a badge. It is important to recognise that the actions we make will influence the choices of others, and so we should do our best to lead from wherever we stand.

Jemma KERR

How do you overcome challenges or problems?

Arthur:  I generally approach new challenges or problems with quiet persistence and patience. With this attitude, I feel most problems or challenges can be overcome. This being said there is a difference between working hard in a state of ignorance and being able to confer or ask for help when needed. The combination of not being afraid of asking for help has helped me overcome some of the challenges in my life.

Jemma: It is always best to handle challenges or problems in small chunks instead of trying to take it all on it once; otherwise these challenges and issues will become overwhelming, making them seem worse than they really are. A great way to aid yourself in any situation is through goal-setting – this gives you a clear vision of what steps you need to take to overcome challenges you may face. It is also important to look for the positives in any challenge or problem you may incur. There are always positives to be found in any situation, so if you can only see the negatives, then take the initiative and change that.

school prefects in group

What three words describe HVGS?

Arthur:  Nurturing, accommodating, positive. My experience in the school community is one that is supportive and nurturing. This is represented by the highly positive and accommodating staff who really care about students and their studies.

Jemma: Ambition, community, responsibility

My experience in the school community is one that is supportive and nurturing. This is represented by the highly positive and accommodating staff who really care about students and their studies

Arthur Bowman

What’s your big dream in life?

Arthur: This is a difficult question for me to answer at this stage of my life. I’ve had too many ideas about what I genuinely want to do and what I want to become, to narrow this down to a single dream. My philosophy regarding what I want to do in life is, to do what interests me to the best of my ability and see where life takes me while enjoying working with a great bunch of people along the way.

Jemma: Ever since I was little, I’ve always said that I wanted to “help people”. What I didn’t realise is that you are quite literally helping people no matter what you choose to do, so I had to spend some time refining what my big dream of “helping people” actually involved.

Through some incredible opportunities and experiences, I’ve been fortunate enough to have developed a deeper understanding of where my passions lie and what I want to work towards. My dream is to work in the United Nations, specifically with UN Women and UNICEF, and aid in the promotion of global equity, gender equality, human rights and empowerment.